Goodbye Berlin, hello Cairo

 Although we've had some wonderful trips with Finn, I'm careful not to expect a holiday when travelling with young children.  I have learnt this through bitter experience.  In the past, our relaxation has been affected by teething, ear infections, conjunctivitis, or just unsettled nights from being in a new environment.  We got lucky this time - our Europe trip was a true holiday for us.  Warm, lazy days, and no commitments or obligations.  Best of all, we've had a lot of fun.  Don't get me wrong, Finn threw some world class wobblies and Wilf screamed and screamed when his teeth came through, but overall it was great.

We are going to miss Berlin.  Everything about it is uber cool - that's about the limit of my German - its playgrounds, its cafes, the museums, and its street art.  Even the train ticket inspectors are cool.  The other day our tickets were checked by a ticket inspector with a shaved head, camo pants and multiple piercings.  Being German, he was also very efficient.  He rounded up those fare-dodgers pretty darn quickly!

We have now arrived in Cairo.  The photos in this post were taken from the balcony of our apartment, which is comfortable and spacious (both apartment and balcony).  Needless to say, the view is a high point.   It's a city that feels like no other place I've been.  Wild, old, run-down and pulsing.  It's fascinating.  I'm a little bit worried about this place but also ready to see what it throws our way.  So far it has all been positive.  
We have spent the day settling in, finding the supermarket (german bread!), locating the kitchen sink plug and unpacking.  I'm pleased to report that the Thermomix, my one essential kitchen appliance,  made it to Cairo in one piece and is currently making a batch of baby puree.

And Wilf has tooth #3.  Hoorah. Only 17 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment