John and I spent the evening at Sequoia, a restaurant on the Nile serving Middle Eastern cuisine. It's a special spot. It's atmospheric and catches the north wind, which is a welcome relief on these balmy summer evenings.
I spent much of the morning trying to locate a few shops and galleries that I had read about. I'm quickly learning that being armed with a street address is not enough. The street numbering system is idiosyncratic and can't be relied upon to be sequential. After traipsing up and down various streets and asking for directions I had some success. I found the Loft Gallery, a mish-mash of antiques and Middle Eastern wares. The gallery is housed in a spacious 1930s apartment with high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. Every corner of every room is filled with chandeliers, mirrors, chaise lounges, silverware and glassware. I tried to purchase some vintage champagne glasses, but the asking price was linked to a story about them being owned by an influential Egyptian. Sadly, it was lost on me and I was reluctant to pay the premium.
On the hunt for the Loft Gallery, I found a few new shops of interest - an art deco antique store, a fair trade market and a rather disappointing organic food store. There are no shortage of shoe shops, clothes shops, jewellers and patisseries. There is a patisserie close to our apartment that sells macarons, cheese cakes and a chocolate eclair that John is still talking about.
I ended up at a bookstore that stocks English and Arabic books. I picked up a few children's books so John can start reading to Finn in Arabic.
I tried to find easy texts, but thought I'd also challenge him with Dr Seuss. I think he might be using Google Translate for that one.


Aahh those antique shops sound incredible! Lucky I'm not within spending distance!
ReplyDelete